Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am a legal citizen but I am married to an illegal

Customer Question

I am a legal citizen but I am married to an illegal immigrant and he's been here since he was 15 yrs old, and he's going to be 29 next month, but he also has a felony charge from 10 years ago....is he still eligible for citizenship?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: One in St. Louis a long time ago, but he doesn't really handle cases like ours.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: What was mentioned above.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

I think you mean to ask if he is eligible for U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency, right? How did he enter the U.S.? Illegally or with a visa? Which visa? What country is he from? How long ago did he enter the U.S.? What wasthe felony and sentence? Please try to answer each question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am wanting to find out if he is eligible as a permanent resident. He entered illegally from Mexico. He has been here for 14 years; he crossed when he was 15 years old and will be 29 next month. The felony was for drug paraphernalia, he didn't serve time in prison or jail or anything because he paid the fine.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He was put in jail but only for a few hours.We also have a daughter that will be 9 months on August 3, 2016.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

How old was he when he was convicted of having drug paraphernalia?

Hello again. How old was he when he was convicted of having drug paraphernalia?