RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I have a friend Venezuelan friend who is trying to come to

Customer Question

I have a friend Venezuelan friend who is trying to come to the United States for a 3 days visit in September. I read that the Venezuelan government is not permitting citizens to leave on business or tourist visas if this is their first time. Is that true??
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

That is true, but it has nothing to do with the political situation or government restrictions directly. Embassy staffing is currently very low, and therefore the Venezuelan Embassy website tells first-time applicants not to pay the application fee or to try and make an appointment as they are not able to provide appointments for first time visitors.

You can read the website information here.

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to assist.Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating by clicking on the stars, so that I am credited for my time and information today. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there anything that can be done??

Unfortunately, it does not appear that way -only the Embassy can issue the tourist Visa. The government gives no indication on their website either as to when this staffing issue may be resolved -whether it is a month, 6 months, etc. Your friend may want to call the Embassy there directly and see if they can give them any idea as to when first time applicants may be able to get appointments again.

Was there anything I could clarify about my answer or additional information you needed? If so, please REPLY, I'm happy to help further! If not, kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars as that is the only way I am paid for my time and assistance. Thank you!