KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I am a natural born U.S. citizen living in the U.S. in

Customer Question

I am a natural born U.S. citizen living in the U.S. in Illinois. I want marry a woman who is curently living in Great Britain and holds a dual citicnship of Great Britain and South Africa.due to health issues I cannot go to England, if she comes here on a Vistior Visa, we get married what happens next
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Legally, there is nothing wrong with getting married while she is in the U.S. as a visitor (on a B-2 visa), if she returns home at the end of her visa-permitted stay. But that doesn't it’s risk-free strategy. It is common to use a visitor visa as a way of entering the U.S., getting married, and then applying for adjustment of status (a green card) after arrival, to avoid the longer process of applying for a fiancee or marriage-based visa from overseas.

However, in many cases, after someone obtain a visitor visa, the border official who greets them upon U.S. entry may not believe their tourist intentions, and may exercise "expedited removal" powers to deny entry and send them home. That puts an order of removal on their record, preventing a return to the U.S. for several years.

It is better to obtain a fiance visa (K-1) for travel to the United States to marry. It takes longer, about 6 months, but your entry will be easier, and there is little risk of denial of the visa, especially from England.

So yes she can get married to you while in the US while on a B-1/B-2 tourist visa, but there is the risk of denial.

I hope this helps.