Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

I married my cousin in daytona florida, by a notary, will my

Customer Question

I married my cousin in daytona florida, by a notary, will my state of ohio view it as valid,since the state of ohio doesnt allow first cousin marriages ?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

If you married in Florida, then Ohio will recognize the marriage under the Full Faith and Credit clause of the US Constitution. That means that if you enter into a contract in one state that is legally binding in that state, it will be recognized in every other state in the US.

So since FL allows first cousin marriages, it would be legally recognized in Ohio as a matter of law.