Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I have a US card which I obtained under the battered spouse

Customer Question

I have a US Green card which I obtained under the battered spouse category. My 2 kids live with me but have no status as at the time their father who is a born American was seeking citizenship for them. I just discovered that he did not follow through with this and my daughter who turns 18 next January will like to visit her her grandmother in the Caribbean. I am in the process of applying for green cards for them, but the apps wont be submitted until next week. If she travels to the Caribbean, will she be allowed back in the US. She has lived with me all along.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

What is your daughter's date of birth? Were you married to the father when she was born? How long did he live in the U.S. before she was born?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

If she does not have a green card, she would not be let back in and she may have to wait outside for a 9 months or a year or more to get a green card. I am trying to find out if perhaps she has an automatic claim to U.S. Citizenship, but I need for you to answer the following: What is your daughter's date of birth? Were you married to the father when she was born? How long did he live in the U.S. before she was born?