Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

We owe back taxes - my husband works I 't but we file

Customer Question

We owe back taxes - my husband works I don't but we file jointly - I'm on payment plan of $600 per month. We owe 15k. Can I apply for citizenship?
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Expert James replied 4 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a conversation. We will talk back and forth until I have all the information I need from you, and you will respond until you have all the information you need. Once you've received the information you need, you can thank me by issuing me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

ANSWER: Yes, you can apply for naturalization, and it can be approved. Generally, although owing back taxes can be a bar to naturalization, in many cases, if you can show that you are making an effort to resolve your tax issues, you may still be eligible.

Unfortunately, however, the decision is discretionary. The USCIS officer has discretion in the determination of approval or denial with a back taxes issue. But when making this decision, the officer considers whether you entered into a payment plan voluntarily and then made an effort to become current.

I hope I have answered your questions. I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

Once you have received an answer, please leave a positive rating by choosing on the 3, 4 or 5 stars so I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going.

I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you.