Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

If I apply card renewal, and my card expired in may 2015,

Customer Question

If I apply for a green card renewal, and my card expired in may 2015, can I then:
1. Apply for my green card.
2) Take my receipt notice to an infopass appointment to get an I-551 stamp.
3) Wait to get fingerprinted after I return to the U.S. in a few weeks.
Basically I'm asking if I can get my I-551 stamp without getting fingerprinted first?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

You can try. Generally, USCIS will want to see your receipt, airline ticket and explanation of what is the emergency to travel.

When you have your biometrics done you are given a temporary stamp in your passport so they want to see you have some emergency that requires the temporary I-551 now, particularly since your card has been expired for a year.

I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith