Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

Can a non immigrant on a student visa make money from a

Customer Question

Can a non immigrant on a student visa make money from a social media apps like twitter, instagram, and youtube. Also, can he make money from internet marketing like Mylikes and online store ?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Will any of these apps be used by Americans or will the before use abroad only?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they are used by both Americans and abroad
Expert:  Judith replied 3 months ago.

No you cannot engage in this work in the cloud if you will be paid by any US source and the app user may be an American.

This is considered self-employment because you are providing a service (creating, maintaining and developing this app) in the US and US citizens are using it on US soil and you are receiving revenue in the US from this product.

The same holds true for selling products on Mylikes, eBay, etc. You are performing a service ( stocking merchandise) selling it to US citizens and earning an income from these.

if you were working strictly in the cloud from the US with no contact with Americans using your services or buying your merchandise and receiving payment for that abroad then that may be a gray area that would not be considered self-employment in the US.

I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Expert:  Judith replied 3 months ago.

May I answer anything additional for you to earn your satisfaction. I strive to give good customer service and comprehensive answers. I feel I have failed you. Please tell me what additional information would be helpful.