Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

I am an F1 visa student in California. Very recently I

Customer Question

Hi, I am an F1 visa student in California. Very recently I sublet an apartment in California, where I am studying, through Airbnb for two months. A friend of mine told me that it is not allowed, because I am a F1 student. I wanted an expert opinion on that. Am I allowed to have income through AirBnb, or subletting an apartment as a F1 student is illegal. Will this void my visa, or cause trouble for me if I apply for green card in future? Thanks.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

You are not allowed to have such an income. It is an active process where you are competing against U.S. persons that are also doing Airbnb. If you are here as a student, you are here to study and not compete against U.S. persons for jobs, opportunities, etc. So you should desist from such activity if you want to preserve your F-1 student status.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.