Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am granted asylum from Aug 2014. I applied in Aug 2015 & I

Customer Question

I am granted asylum from Aug 2014. I applied for PR in Aug 2015 & I did my fringe print in Sep 2015. Since that time my status is pending. And I wanna know how could I follow up my case. I applied two times for expediting my case but both of them our rejected.
What should I do now? As normally as I know it should take 4-6 months to get your green card after your finger print
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Unfortunately, no expedited requests are possible for lawful permanent resident status applications. So there is no way to "fast track" them. You can check on the application however, and speak to an officer, by making an infopass appointment. They should be able to estimate how much longer it would take, and where in the process the application is now. See HERE.

While applications normally take 6 months, it is not unusual for them to take 8 months, or even a year. Sometimes more. It depends on what country you are from, what documents have to be reviewed and verified, and how busy the USCIS is.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

PS - You can also get limited information on status here, by tracking the application:

egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am from Iran. I went to the USCIS office and they said that my case is in background check process in Mesquite texas
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

If you are from Iran, your application is likely taking an extra long time due to security. I am sorry to say that you can likely expect a longer wait than average.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I could only wait?
Could I apply for travel document?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Yes, the only thing you can do is wait. I am afraid there is nothing else. You can as explained, check on the status but that would only get you an estimate of how much longer you have to wait.

If you wish to travel outside USA, it is imperative to get a travel document prior to leaving - the I-131. yes, you can apply to it. Leaving USA without it will void your application!