Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

My J-1 visa is over can I exit the country come back on a

Customer Question

My J-1 visa is over can I exit the country come back on a tourist visa and then go for another J-1 the company I want to apply for for the new J-1 told me there is a 3 months rule to be outside of the US so would this be from when I depart on my tourist visa ?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

I will be right with you in a few minutes.

Yes, you have the option to apply for a B2 Tourist Visa once you depart the US. I cannot speak to the rule that this company has because that is their private rule. It is NOT a USCIS/immigration rule. There is no official rule that says that. However, I would imagine that they mean 3 months since you finished your last J-1 visa, not since you depart with your tourist visa. You may want to confirm with them.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my reply on June 28th but you did not reply with any additional questions or issued a response. Please let me know if there's anything else I can clarify for you to earn your positive rating. That is the only way I receive credit.