Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.

I am a us citizen and was born abroad in the Philippines. My

Customer Question

I am a us citizen and was born abroad in the Philippines. My father retired from the navy and was also a us citizen. I have 3 adopted siblings still living there. Is there a way they could have acquired citizenship through my father?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

How old was each one when they were adopted?

What is each of their dates of birth?

What is your father's date of birth?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My father past away 18 years ago. My sibling were adopted. Their birthdays are Feb 2, 1974, October 28, 1984, sept 20, 1987. I am in the military if that helps any.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They were under 5 yrs old I believe
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Fathers birthdate was August 3, 1934 round about

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately Foreign children who are adopted by U.S. citizens who reside overseas fall under different rules for citizenship then natural children. If they had entered the US even temporarily to apply for citizenship when they were under 18 here in person along with meeting some other criteria, they would have received their citizenship. Since they did not do that and they are over 18 and your father has passed, they can no longer become citizens through their adopted dad.

I'm very sorry, I wish I had better news. I hope you can understand that I don't make the laws and I cannot change the laws. Hopefully you can rate me based on my service.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my reply on June 28th but you did not reply with any additional questions or issued a response. Please let me know if there's anything else I can clarify for you to earn your positive rating. That is the only way I receive credit.