Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

Our son who is a U.S. citizen living and working in Des

Customer Question

Our son who is a U.S. citizen living and working in Des Moines for the VA wishes to marry a girl from the Philippines who is here on a J1 visa. What is the bestr way to do this. Marry her here before she has to return to the Philippines middle of next month. Or go to the Philippines and marry her there? Will she need to return at any rate? Thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

The fastest way will always be for the US citizen to marry a foreigner while the foreigner is in the US. If they do that, he can petition her for her green card while she is here and usually she does not need to return to her home country. However, for the J-1 visa there are special rules. Do you know if she is subject to the 2 year requirement?

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my reply and questions to you on June 27th. Just a reminder that I can't answer your question if you don't provide me with the information I need. Once you do that, I can gladly answer all your inquiries.

*Also, don't worry- You are not charge anything more for answering me.