Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I was charged with possession of cocaine 7 years back but

Customer Question

I was charged with possession of cocaine 7 years back but when I went to court the Crown withdrew the charge .i was also charged with assault which never even went to court because the charges were dropped. I do not have a criminal record . I was told that these charges may come up when I try to cross the border into the United States . Will I have an issue ?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

It is possible that your arrest record was shared with the US. Just be sure to carry with you certified copies of the withdrawal of the possession charge and a certified copy of the court record showing the assault charge was dismissed.

If you don't carry with you these documents you could end up being refused entry. The burden is on you to prove to the US border agents that your criminal record is clean.

All that is shared with them is the arrests, not outcome.

I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith