Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration

My wife is a card holder can we bring her parents on it?

Customer Question

my wife is a green card holder
can we bring her parents on it?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Not while she is a greencard holder. However, once she becomes a US Citizen, then she can petition for them by filing an I-130 application for them - see HERE.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i thought green cards worked the same?
Customer: replied 4 months ago. the link
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a family member of a green card holder
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Sorry, but no. To petition for your parents (mother or father) to live in the United States as green card holders, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old. Green card holders (permanent residents) may not petition to bring parents to live permanently in the United States. Source:

The link you provided ( is generalized information and is a bit misleading.

Greencard holders cannot petition for parents. US Citizens can.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.