Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration

I'm currently considered an Illegal Immigrant my visa. I

Customer Question

Hi, I'm currently considered an Illegal Immigrant for overstaying my visa. I came here in the US Oct 2014 with a J1 Visa. My visa's expiration date as indicated is Oct 2015. Though in my I-94 Record it is indicated as D/S or Duration of Status. I recently got married with an active military. Will that put him in trouble? and will I be able to adjust my Immigrant status and get a Green Card / Citizenship? Or will am I still up for deportation? What are the possible solutions? Thank you.
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: What do you mean by "Official Status"? and No we still haven't done any applications or petitions.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That's it for now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 4 months ago.

Hello there --

Can you tell me your marriage date ?

Are you living on or near a military base in the US ? IF YES, where are you living in the US (so I can give you information on legal and immigration resources near you).

Finally, what country are you a citizen of at this time (where did your travels originate from when you came to the US in Oct. 2014?