Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

Im a j1 visa student and i really dont like the job that i

Customer Question

Hi im a j1 visa student and i really dont like the job that i was contracted to work here for various reasons one of them being my bad realtionship with my manager who basically threatened me by saying that i either work for them or i go back ti my country when i told them that i want ti quit. Can my sponsor end my sponsorship because i dont want to work a job against my will and what are my options?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: In on a j1 visa which is valid until september 30
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Im still ob the program and i just sent an email to ny spibsir explaining all the reasons why i want to quit that job
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Im still waiting for their response
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just want to know if in the worst scenario my sponsor doesn't support my decision to quit this job and terminates my program, will i be able to work at my other job until my visa expires and can they really send me home just beacuse i dont want to work that job?
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Well yes unfortunately you only have the J1 visa through a specific sponsor. You cannot work at other jobs if you don't have a visa to work in that specific job. If you do not perform the job from your J1 visa, then the sponsor can terminate you and you would no longer have the visa. If you quit you also would no longer have the job. You could definitely be deported if you are terminated and no longer have J1 status.

I'm sorry, I wish I had better news for you. I hope you can understand that I do not make the laws and I cannot change them. I am only being honest with you.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.