Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I submitted my application residency through marriage and I

Customer Question

I submitted my application for permanent residency through marriage and I have given my fingerprints a few days ago.
Now my sponsor wants to withdraw his support.
1) Is it too late for his letter for withdrawal of support (i864) to be effective?
2) If it is not too late, How can I add another sponsor to my application before it affects my application?
Please let me know
Regards
Saamer
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

Your petitioner can, at any time, inform USCIS that he or she intends to withdraw the petition. If the petition has not yet been approved, USCIS will almost certainly deny it, and you will not be able to go forward with your plans to immigrate.

An exception exists, however, under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), for battered spouses and children of U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

Would this exception apply to you?

Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

If your relationship breaks down, you cannot lose your status just because you leave your sponsor. But, there are still ways that your ex-partner can put your status at risk. S/he could accuse you of misrepresentation (lying on your application), or of other criminal activities that might make you inadmissible to Canada (for example, if you are part of a criminal organization or terrorist group). Even if these things are not true, they can complicate your status and put you at risk or being removed. If you think your ex-partner might do these things, you should speak to an immigration lawyer right away to make a safety plan to protect your immigration status.

Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

To answer your second question, you unfortunately cannot have a new sponsor step in a take over.

Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

do you have any further questions or have i answered your questions?