Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience

My girlfriend as been arrested wrong documents gold she was

Customer Question

my girlfriend as been arrested for have wrong documents for some gold she was bringing back to the uk and has be told to pay a fine before she is released. what can we do as it was not her fault.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no don't think so I don't get to talk to her.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't know hav'nt been in this possition before
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 4 months ago.

Can I ask if you have met her in person before?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no but been chatting via text and phone calls for about 2 months

Unfortunately, it is likely that this is a scam. It is typical for scammers to look for someone and then after they are hooked, to pretend like they are in trouble and they need a certain amount of money paid to get them out of trouble.

See Message 5 here for a similar situation:

Unfortunately, as you can see, this scenario is all too common. You are not the first person here to ask about this kind of situation. So based on the circumstances you have relayed, it sounds like this person is trying to scam you out of money to pay this "fine."

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have had a skype chat with her when she was in London before she went to Ghana also a skype chat whilst she has been in Ghana she was due to fly back to Aberdeen airport on monday 20th but was stopped at airport when going through customs.

I'm not saying that a real person is not on the other end of your conversations...I'm just saying that this claim about the "fine" is most likely not real. Particularly as she is from Ghana, where a huge number of these scams originate. I'm sorry, but this is pretty textbook. They don't just hold people and force them to pay a fine. There are legal processes that occur.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she is not from Ghana she is from brazil and has been in the UK for about 2 years and was working in Ghana as a nurse for getting her certificate . I have been chatting to an immargration officer from Ghana about her plight, but I will call him today and get moer clarifcation thanks.

That is probably a good idea. The immigration officer is likely in on the scam as well. I would suggest calling the embassy in Ghana so they can look into these individuals and check them out for you before you send any money.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok will do that thanks again, bye

Good luck.