Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

Immigration process student in US who is not welcome to s

Customer Question

Immigration process for Foreign student in US who is not welcome to his home country (Maldives) because he is Bi Sexual and not does not believe as Muslim. Would he be a candidate to file asylum case to become a US permanent resident. He is still a student but seemingly should be seeking residency now.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Much depends on the timing. When did he last enter the U.S.? Has it been longer than 1 year?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

If it has been longer than 1 year since his last entry into the U.S., he will not be approved for Asylum unless he can prove significant change in country conditions or exceptional reasons for not filing within the 1 year deadline after entry into the U.S. If denied Asylum and placed in Removal Proceedings, he may be able to win Withholding of Removal. This will not give him a Residency in the future, but will allow him to stay and get a work permit that he could renew every year or so. Here is a link to Asylum:

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Brent. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Hello Brent. Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.