Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

I am a US citizen, my elderly (81 years) mother is visiting

Customer Question

I am a US citizen, my elderly (81 years) mother is visiting me, she is supposed to leave in two days, but she is sick and her condition worsened in the last two days so that she cannot fly until she gets better. I know that it is possible to apply for extension or to change the status. Which one is faster/easier to do in my situation, considering that I wanted to get her a Green Card anyway.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Did she use a B-2 tourist visa to enter the U.S.?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

I will assume that she did use a B-2 tourist visa to enter the U.S. If I am incorrect about that, please let me know. If you haven't filed the I-539 to extend her status by this point, it is too late. You may need to do an Adjustment of Status. It can be done at any time. You would have to file the following forms:

I-130 (Petition for family member), I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for Advance Parole), G-325a (Biographic data - one for each of them), I-693 (Medical exam that a certified doctor must fill out for you), and I-864 (Affidavit of support). They will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. They can find these forms at

Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I will be happy to respond, but because this case is the type of case that I love to handle, I will now send you a low-cost offer so that I can pass on my personal phone number and email. I cannot discuss pricing on an open forum, but if you accept, you will see I have multiple services available to you from document review to full representation and all at very reasonable prices. You won't be disappointed as these are my favorite cases to do and have been doing them for many years. If you decline, no problem, you can ask additional questions without any additional charge. But PLEASE remember to leave a positive rating for me. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Also, a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. And finally, your question does NOT close just because you leave a positive rating. I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.