Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

THE PREVIOUS EXPERT OPTED OUT..I have a question on

Customer Question

THE PREVIOUS EXPERT OPTED OUT..I have a question on insurance for an older person (87 years old) who is foreign and wants to come to the country occasionally. What are my options? I haven't had time to do the call but plan to perhaps in a week or so. Thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

You have to buy visitor travelers insurance in your country before you leave for the US.

There are many sites on the web that explain about different plans available and pre-existing conditions that may or may not be covered.

An example of such a site is

http://www.visitorscoverage.com/visitor-insurance-pre-existing-conditions/

Generally, you need to be prepared to cover your medical emergency with your funds for pre-existing conditions.

, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** considered preexisting conditions, high blood pressure for example is pretty common, would that be considered or you are talking more of a chronic or malignant disease? Also, I have hear about bad experience with unreputable companies that prey on people that are unfamiliar with the US or speak little English. Any way to have an idea on quality and servoce, such as a regulatory body or entity like Best that is used for US based insurance companies? Thanks

Expert:  Judith replied 5 months ago.

Simply put a preexisting condition is ANY medical condition which existed prior to purchasing your insurance.

High Blood Pressure is common but it is a medical condition that can lead to many complications such as stroke, etc. So that is a pre-existing medical condition.

When you buy insurance you have to fill out a medical history and provide information about any and all medical conditions you have been treated for in the past and currently.

You can ask for clarifications in writing if any of those conditions or complications as a result of that medical condition is excluded in the coverage.

If the insurance company will not put it in writing what is excluded then they is not reputable.

You can check the companies and their ratings and consumer complaints online with the Better Business Bureau

http://www.bbb.org/search/

This Consumer Report link gives you some helpful tips

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/06/do-you-need-travel-insurance/index.htm

This link gives you reviews of many different insurers

http://www.reviews.com/travel-insurance/

You have to do your homework and use the internet to research reputable companies and then contact them and get a sample policy and email them what your medical conditions are past and present and ask if you would be excluded from benefits if you have a medical emergency while travelling in the US and it is related to those conditions.

That is the best you can do.

Even I ran into an issue with having my airfare refunded when I had to have emergency back surgery and I had a history of spinal disease in the past. I didn't ask prior to buying the policy for a sample policy and didn't read the fine print before buying. Fortunately, I was not excluded becase of the pre-existing condition, but when I read the fine print even as a lawyer I thought I made a mistake and would not be refunded my ticket cost of several thousand dollars.

So be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. What I can tell you from my experience with insurance companies, all of them, they are in the business of making money and paying claims cuts into their profits so if there is a way to get out of paying they will!

All the best and pray for good health.

Remember I do not earn any income from answering your question unless you give a positive rating by clicking on 3+ stars. Thank you.

Judith

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

This is not for me, it is actually for my mother who is in her 80s, although with no major problems and even minor ones, just high blood pressure(controlled). Just wanted to get a feeling if it is possible to get insurance for someone like that (that's what I said when I started the question). Thanks

Expert:  Judith replied 5 months ago.

Are you satisfied with my answer? I assumed you were writing for someone else.

Judith