Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

My aunt and her daughter live in Greece, they aren't Greek

Customer Question

Hi, my aunt and her daughter live in Greece, they aren't Greek citizens tough but Moldovian citizens. Her daughter wants to come and do high school and college in the US and my aunt wants to come here and work so she can be together with her daughter. They just want to know what are their options and will it make a difference on getting a visa if they were Greek citizens?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

The mother most likely won't be able to work, but she could accompany her daughter for a time while her daughter studies. What level of education does the mother have?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She has a bachelor degree I think. Iam not sure in what field though.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What about my cousin? What are options?

Ok, well, that's something. It would qualify her for an H-1B professional visa. The information on the H-1B is basically that she must have a job offer, the job offer must be for a company that is offering a position that is related to her degree and experience. The position must also normally require a bachelors degree or higher. The company must have a need for someone in that position and must have the resources to be able to pay her what is normally paid to someone in that position. All these things must be provable with financials, business plan, etc. Also, because they are used up for this year, she will need to apply on April 1, 2017 to start working on October 1, 2017 or later. The exception is if she applies for a cap-exempt job and those are at an institution of higher education or its affiliated or related nonprofit entities or a nonprofit research organization, or a government research organization. Those are not subject to this numerical cap.

Here is a link:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-dod-cooperative-research-and-development-project-workers-and-fashion-models

If her mom gets that, your cousin could come on an H-4 as long as she is under 21 and unmarried. She can study while on H-4. Your cousin can also get an F-1 to study. Here is a link:

http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/

But if her mother does not get an H-1B, she could get a B-2 tourist visa to come, but she won't be able to work. Here is a link:

http://lawandborder.com/parents-may-accompany-f-1-student-to-the-u-s/

For those types of visas it would not matter what country they are from.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.