Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

2 Years ago i got a speeding ticket in the state of missouri

Customer Question

2 Years ago i got a speeding ticket in the state of missouri by state high way patrol. No arrest, no appearance needed and i just paid the fine. I had points on my driving record but thats it. state of missouri classifies traffic violation as unclassified misdemenar. I am applying for my renewal of my green card. Will this be an issue and will this be classified as a criminal offense. There was no question in the renewal application so i did not disclose this. Will this be an issue.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

No. This is not an issue that would create a problem for you to renew your green card. It is a regulatory offense and you would not need to prove anything in that regard. When you apply for U.S. Citizenship, however, you will need to disclose it on the N-400 application. It won't cause you to be denied U.S. Citizenship unless you had lots of tickets.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have had tickets but all of them in Missouri have been amended to a non moving violation. None of the fines went over 250. Over 15 years I have had 7-8 tickets. Will this be a problem in my us citizen ship. All were traffic related

For green card renewal, no. For U.S. Citizenship, it depends on how long ago each one was and if there were too many too close to either other. It is a judgment call on the part of the immigration officer if they feel you disrespect the laws of the U.S. If you have only had one or two in the last 5 years, that should be ok, but 3 or more in the last 5 years, then you may want to wait a bit before filing so that there are only 1 or 2 in the 5 years immediately preceding when you file the N-400.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.