Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

Greetings, my greencard will expire July 6, 2016. I applied

Customer Question

Greetings,
my greencard will expire July 6, 2016. I applied for greencard renewal and have an appointment for biometrics on 6/21. I will travel to Europe on July 5 and return on July 13. I have paid the application of $450 and have received 2 notices (FORM I-797C, Notice of Action. One form stated I paid the fee and one states I have the biometric appointment. None of the forms states that my status has been extended by a year. What do I need to travel obroad and reenter the US?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 7 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a conversation. We will talk back and forth until I have all the information I need from you, and you will respond until you have all the information you need. Once you've received the information you need, you will thank me by giving me a a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

ANSWER: You need to go to a local USCIS office to speak with an officer about getting an I-551 stamp in your passport, extending your current PR status for 1 year while the I-90 is processing.

You can make an appointment here: infopass.uscis.gov. If you cannot get an appointment before then, go to the local office as a walk-in. You might end up waiting for the scheduled appointments, which take priority, but this is how to deal with this issue.

I hope I have answered your questions. I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

Once you have received an answer, please leave a positive rating by choosing on the 3, 4 or 5 stars so I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. In your experience, can I get this done in one day, as the offices are usually crazy busy.

My apologies for the slight delay. I posted a response, but evidently it did not register.

Kindly remember that I do not get a salary here. Your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, before leaving the site today. Thank you!

ANSWER: You are right that they are crazy busy. That's why I recommend that you try to make an appointment at the link I sent you. And if that does not work, go as a walk-in. Generally, if you are willing to be patient and wait for an officer, you can get this done. Of course it all depends on the day and which location you go to.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you.