Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I have an individual hearing (merit hearing) scheduled on

Customer Question

I have an individual hearing (merit hearing) scheduled on February 22, 2017 in Arlington court for removal procedure and today my lawyer received a note of master hearing scheduled July 2016 !!! What does that mean
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: VA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I already have a lawyer but I have not spoken to him
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: I have an individual hearing (merit hearing) scheduled on February 22, 2017 in Arlington court for removal procedure and today my lawyer received a note of master hearing scheduled July 2016 !!! What does that mean
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm Syrian
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

It could be a mistake on the part of the court, but it may not be. You are applying for Asylum? Have you already filed the I-589?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I already filed everything and was denied asylum at the asylum officer interview so I was referred to the judge and I had been to the master hearing where the final hearing was scheduled
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But my final hearing was scheduled in Arlington, VA but when I got married I changed my address into maryland so probably they want to change the jurisdiction over my case to Baltimore Court with different date and judge ???

Is there any evidence you still need to file? What has your attorney said about this?

Is the master hearing set for Virginia or Maryland?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No first it was set in va

Ok. So nothing is set in Maryland, but you did inform the court in Virginia that you moved to Maryland, correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I informed them of change of address long time ago in 2014

Well, you definitely have to go to the hearing. As to what it could be for, you would call the court or more appropriately the ICE Trial Counsel and ask why it has been reset. Here is a link:

https://www.ice.gov/contact/legal

It may be that the court wants to know if you would like to change venues to Maryland and if not, an explanation as to why not. But having a hearing set does not necessarily mean that something is wrong with the case.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Amal. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.