Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Please check my question below it little bit complex and I

Customer Question

Hi
Please check my question below it little bit complex and I can give more clarification if needed
1- On our country (Iraq) we had a birth certification rule say (if you born outside Iraq so all your Iraqi official documents should show father place of birth in Iraq instead of your real place of birth)
2- Referring to point one I had a passport show my father place of birth (Baghdad) and this what I used before to get my immigration visa & green card on 2010.
3- On 2012 Iraqi government decide to stop working on old rule and return everyone to his real place of birth and I got a new passport before one year ago show my original place of birth (outside Iraq ) and I used this passport to visit US for two times only with no problem .
4- This month I was ready to start the application to change my Green card to be match with passport I got but now Iraqi government decide to reactivate the old rule and starting using father place of birth again in Iraq so they just issue me a new passport show the same what was on my 1st passport I got on 2010 and this what let me cancel my plan to change the green card because it is match with new passport I just got (Correct me if I am wrong)
My questions are:
A- Is this will make a problem during the naturalization process on future?? Especially my two visits to US with the passport that shows my real place of birth?? I don’t have this passport anymore; passport office took it from me before the issue me the new one this week.
B- Can I use the real place of birth during the naturalization to be use on my US passport if I explain why I have my father place of birth on my Iraqi Passport?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome back. Please remember to use FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box so that no one else grabs the question and I can become your personal immigration consultant.

A) I would provide a cover letter with an explanation, I would put the actual place of birth in the N-400, and if you can provide evidence of the shifts in Iraqi policy in this regard, that should help as well.

B) Yes, I think that would be prudent to do.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1- Referring to point 4 on my email I don't need now to change my green card while the new passport i got show the same place of birth found on green card , (my father place of birth), correct if I am wrong .2- Referring to my question A, is my two entrance to US with the passport show real place of birth can cause a problem.
3- Referring to my question B , can I keep use father place of birth on naturalization process while it found on my all current official documents, (Green card , passport , etc .

1) I would leave it alone for now.

2) It should not.

3) I would do that, yes, but like I said, you should submit a cover letter explaining the situation.

Hello Saif. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!