Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Please check my question below it little bit complex and I

Customer Question

Hi
Please check my question below it little bit complex and I can give more clarification if needed
1- On our country (Iraq) we had a birth certification rule say (if you born outside Iraq so all your Iraqi official documents should show father place of birth in Iraq instead of your real place of birth)
2- Referring to point one I had a passport show my father place of birth (Baghdad) and this what I used before to get my immigration visa & green card on 2010.
3- On 2012 Iraqi government decide to stop working on old rule and return everyone to his real place of birth and I got a new passport before one year ago show my original place of birth (outside Iraq ) and I used this passport to visit US for two times only with no problem .
4- This month I was ready to start the application to change my Green card to be match with passport I got but now Iraqi government decide to reactivate the old rule and starting using father place of birth again in Iraq so they just issue me a new passport show the same what was on my 1st passport I got on 2010 and this what let me cancel my plan to change the green card because it is match with new passport I just got (Correct me if I am wrong)
My questions are:
A- Is this will make a problem during the naturalization process on future?? Especially my two visits to US with the passport that shows my real place of birth?? I don’t have this passport anymore; passport office took it from me before the issue me the new one this week.
B- Can I use the real place of birth during the naturalization to be use on my US passport if I explain why I have my father place of birth on my Iraqi Passport?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome back. Please remember to use FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box so that no one else grabs the question and I can become your personal immigration consultant.

A) I would provide a cover letter with an explanation, I would put the actual place of birth in the N-400, and if you can provide evidence of the shifts in Iraqi policy in this regard, that should help as well.

B) Yes, I think that would be prudent to do.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1- Referring to point 4 on my email I don't need now to change my green card while the new passport i got show the same place of birth found on green card , (my father place of birth), correct if I am wrong .2- Referring to my question A, is my two entrance to US with the passport show real place of birth can cause a problem.
3- Referring to my question B , can I keep use father place of birth on naturalization process while it found on my all current official documents, (Green card , passport , etc .

1) I would leave it alone for now.

2) It should not.

3) I would do that, yes, but like I said, you should submit a cover letter explaining the situation.

Hello Saif. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!