Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

My name is Dasbel. My sister grand daughter is sixteen and

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: My name is***** sister grand daughter is sixteen and is pregnant. The babies father do not want to take responsibility because it interferes with his career. My niece father never lived with her and her mother is married to another men. My sister economical situation is precarious. Both of the parents said they have no problem giving my the custody. My husband and I want to adopt her. Both are Citizens, and we both work. Is there any posibility for us to do so?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No, we are clean, never have problem with justice, not even trafic ticket.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

You want to adopt the 16 year old? And for what? To pass on a U.S. immigration benefit because the 16 year old is illegally in the U.S.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, she is in Colombia. We want to bring her and giver the opportunity to have a better future.

Well, unfortunately, I have bad news for you. Please do not shoot the messenger. Under the U.S. immigration laws, it is too late to adopt her to pass on a U.S. immigration benefit. A child must be fully adopted before turning 16. The only exception is if a brother or sister adopts her, then it has to be done before turning 18. I am truly sorry. You can adopt for inheritance purposes and the like, but not for a U.S. immigration benefit. What you can do is perhaps help her find a school in the U.S. to accept her so that she can come on an F-1 student visa and study and perhaps later get an H-1B professional visa when she graduates and then eventually a green card through employment. Here is a link so that you can search for a school for her:

http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I still adopt the babie?

Yes, you can adopt the baby and you could pass on a U.S. immigration benefit to the baby, but the birth mother will never be able to get any legal status in the U.S. through that baby. Here is a link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/adoptionsabroad/en/country-information/learn-about-a-country/colombia.html

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!