Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.

Immigration lawyers I have a management consulting company

Customer Question

Immigration lawyers
I have a management consulting company in Canada and I would like to explore and acquire U.S. companies as clients. Can you tell me what activities I am allowed to perform if I go to U.S. under a B 1 VISA ( which I assume is not needed for Canadian citizen). I am confused as it seems like other Canadian companies can get clients in the U.S. but it's not easy for management consulting company, in a sense that we might have to physically be in the U.S. to perform the work for the client.
What is the best way to go about doing this VISA and immigration law wise?
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please, this question is for U.S. immigration lawyers only.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not sure why this question was routed to a Canadian law lawyer. It is for an U.S. immigration lawyer. Thank you.
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

It looks like your question went to Canada law because Canada was selected.

I'm afraid that the activities on the B1 are very limited.

- Interview or hire employees

- Attend and particiapte in Business meetings

- Conventions

-Consult with business associates

- Training

- Visit office site

- Develop business relationships

-Solicit investments

- Negotiate and sign contracts

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Jennifer,Can you please clarify then what I need to do in my case?Thank you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Meaning, if I get clients in the U.S., how do I provide service to them? What type of VISA should I get then?

You cannot provide services to them while you are inside the US. In other words, you cannot do any actual "work" for which you're getting paid while you're inside the US. You can meet with them and talk but you can only provide the services while you're in Canada. If you wanted to come to the US and actually do management consulting you can apply for a TN visa.

I hope this gives you some clarity. I hope i have earned your positive rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Jennifer for the further clarification. I thought for TN VISA, it has to be for a longer term contract. Can you use TN VISA just to go to the U.S. to perform consulting work for just few days or few weeks? Or it has to be like a few months or one year contract?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
also, since we are a management consulting company, not an independent management consultant so the client will technically hiring our company ( corporation) not an individual as an independent consultant, will TN still work for us?

No, the TN is for a management consultant to come to the US as a management consultant to work but for a company here. If you are the actual company, that is different. People in the US (clients) can hire your company to provide services to them even if you are located in Canada. You don't need any visa to provide services from Canada. You just cannot do any work here inside the US besides the activities I listed above while you are in the US.

I hope that helps. Best of luck!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Jennifer,Thank you for the clarification. I think the challenge is how you define work for consultant. If it's a manufacturing company, it's easy. I can go to the U.S., negotiate the contract and then come back to Canada to produce the product and send to the U.S.But consulting company is different, we provide service and service can potentially requires face to face meeting to provide. And you said we could meet with them and talk. A lot of consulting service is performed by talking. We talk to client to identify issue, we talk to client to propose solutions and implement solutions.I am still confused as what can do and what can not do for consulting service when we are in the U.S.Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Maria,
I received a couple emails about confirming and providing the review. But I still haven't got an answer for my last message. Thank you.