Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

A Vietnamese girl over 18yrs asked my wife and I to pick her

Customer Question

A young Vietnamese girl over 18yrs asked my wife and I to pick her up last week from her Aunt's house. She had enough and wanted out. She was sent to U.S. from Vietnam a year and a half ago on a student visa. After attending school here for several months she realized she was pregnant. Her aunt pulled her out of school to have the baby and refused to send her back to school. She would not re-new the visa, and sent her baby back to Vietnam to live with the girl's parents. In the meantime, the aunt had her working under false pretenses to pay off her bills. She had forged a license for working in a nail shop for six days a week and then cleaning the aunt's house on her day off. The aunt kept threatening to send her back to Vietnam if she didn't measure up to her standards. The
aunt knows the girl is staying with us, and threatening to send the police to pick her up.
Is there anything at all we can do?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

I will be right with you.

I'm so sorry to hear about this terrible situation. There are a few different things at play here related to both immigration and criminal matters. I will explain both so you can understand the choices better.

First I want you to understand the immigration side which is that right now the young girl is out of status and illegal in the US. If it has been more than 5 months since she was in school, then there is no way to get that visa back now. She has the choice to just return to Vietnam and be with her child. She can do this even if she is illegal as long as she has a valid passport and if she doesn't have it she can go to the Vietnamese consular or embassy to get a travel document.

Second, what the aunt is doing is illegal. She cannot force her to work and keep her here against her will without pay. She has the option to report her aunt to the police and let them know what she was doing and that she sent her baby away. If she chooses to do that and she cooperates with the police there is an option for her to apply for a Uvisa which is for victims of crimes that help police. She can eventually get a permanent residence in the US through that visa. So basically she has to decide whether she wants to report her aunt and try to remain in the US or just leave as soon as possible.

As far as what you can do, you can just assist in helping her leave or helping her report her aunt. If she will do that, she is going to need an immigration attorney eventually.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.