Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I'm a f1 student and I'm trying to go back home vacation.

Customer Question

Hello I'm a f1 student and I'm trying to go back home for a vacation. However, I have possion of weed and I will start my ASAP program in 2 days? What are my options ??
Thank you
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

You will not get a visa to return to the US with a conviction for possession of a controlled substance.

You will need to apply for a waiver if the amount was less than 30 grams. That is the only exception but it will take up to 12 months for the I-212 to be adjudicated.

If you want to get an education in the US you are stuck here until you finish and have the time to spend back in home country waiting for approval of your waiver for your conviction.

In your mind you say "Oh it was only a joint" but in the laws of the USCIS it is an offense than automatically makes you inadmissible without the waiver.

It is next to a serious crime like homicide unless it is under 30 grams and the you can apply for a waiver.

So that is your option.

I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith