Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

MY FRIEND HAD THE CARD AS SINGLE NOW HE WENT CITIZENSHIP AND

Customer Question

HELLO MY FRIEND HAD THE GREEN CARD AS SINGLE NOW HE WENT FOR THE CITIZENSHIP AND SAID THAT HE IS MARRIED AND USCIS TOLD HIM TO EXPLAIN WHAT
HAPPENED HE WAS MARRIED WHEN SAID HE WAS SINGLE. WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO HIM NOW
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Sorry, Jenny - can you please clarify as to what happened? Did your friend marry after he received his greencard? If so, then what is the problem? Or, did he fail to mention he was married when he applied for his greencard, and now admitted his prior marriage when filing for citizenship?

Or, did he get his greencard via marriage, but was already married?

In short, please clarify the situation. Thanks.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no he was married before he received the green card. When his father started the process he was single then married but never changed the status from single to married
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Okay. So he then received his greencard, but what about his spouse - is she still abroad?

Or did he bring her in as well, on another visa (such as a tourist visa, etc)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no she is abroad never being here
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Thank you.

What someone in his situation wants to do is to explain that he never knew that he had to update USCIS with the fact that he was married while the greencard was being processed. And explain that if he plans to bring his wife, he will use the I-130 process from scratch.

At this point, it is up to USCIS. If they feel that he was somehow deceptive or trying to deceive, then they can void his greencard. If so, he can appeal the decision administratively and then, to the US federal court to have the Court reconsider this. However if USCIS believes him that he was just ignorant, then this may not be an issue and they would simply overlook it.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!