Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
10285032

My employer arranged to file a marriage based card

Customer Question

My employer arranged to file a marriage based green card application. I'm awaiting my EAD card. I may switch jobs this summer. Could I use the EAD to work for an employer other than the one who filed for me? My sponsor is my husband. The application is marriage based, not employment based.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You do not have to work for your husband's employer just because they applied for the EAD for you. It is not like an H1b or other employment sponsored visa, which only allows you to work for the employer who applied. In the case of an employer applied for EAD the spouse of the employee does not have to work for that employer, they can work for any employer.