Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Can an American citizen use the title Sir if he was invested

Customer Question

Can an American citizen use the title Sir if he was invested into the order of the holy sepuluar , a Papal Order of knighthood?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Are you asking if using your title would in any way affect your US citizenship? Or whether the Vatican would object because you are a US citizen?

In general, protocol outside the British honours system it is usually considered improper to address a knighted person as 'Sir' or 'Dam'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 6 months ago.

There is nothing to risk with regards ***** ***** US citizenship to adopt the title but under protocol it may be inappropriate.

I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith