Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.

I am going to be applying card soon. A while ago, I had

Customer Question

I am going to be applying for a green card soon. A while ago, I had collected unemployment benefits after I was laid off (employer did not dispute it because it was their fault) I was on a visa at the time and didn't realize I was not allowed to. After I finished collecting the EDD I was notified by them that I did not qualify and I would need to pay it back. Since I didn't know I didn't qualify, I agreed to pay it back in increments.
My question is now that I am applying for a green card, will my collecting of unemployment benefits in the past (and agreeing to pay it back now) disqualify me from getting a green card. I don't want to seem like I tried to fraud the system, if I did, I would never have agreed to pay it back because I didn't know I didn't qualify and they sent it to me.
I entered the country legally as a student and have always had a student or working visa.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

As long as you are paying the EDD back then no it should not affect your current application for green card.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Jennifer,Ok thank you. Are you 100% sure of that? The reason why I am worried is because I had a falling out with one of my room mates (I found out she was stealing money from me) so I had to report it to our landlord and when she left, she threatened to report me to ICE and to tell them I was committing a felony by collecting the benefits while I was on a visa. It's such a critical time for me for this GC and I want to double check that she is just making empty threats because even if she made a complaint, it would not be anything substantial that ICE would even investigate? She is looking for revenge so I'm not sure if she will make up a few more details if she made a call to ICE. She stole some of my money and I think she went through my mail and might have my ssn so I am worried she made that threat when she moved out.But the fact of the matter is I have always had a legal visa, legal ssn during my time in the US. She just knows how stressed out I am over the GC application so this is her way of hurting me. Will she have a case if she calls ICE?

I do understand what you meant. Yes, I am sure. You can read about it here:

" Earned benefits like unemployment compensation, veteran’s benefits, Social Security insurance benefits, and government pensions"

I hope this clarifies your doubts. Hope you can now leave a positive rating.

Hello again. I noticed that you were able to view my answer to you but you did not accept or ask me any other question. Is there any other follow up question that I can answer for you? Your satisfaction is my goal. Thanks for your consideration.