How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3874
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If someone has an expired visa and has lived in the US year

Customer Question

If someone has an expired visa and has lived in the US for 16 year can they apply for permanent residence or a green card? They have always paid taxes and never been in trouble with the law.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 8 months ago.

It depends. First, permanent residence results in a green card. The green card is evidence of permanent residence.

On what basis would they be applying? Marriage to a US citizen? Or through an adult US citizen child?

Expert:  Expert James replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to assist you.

Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions