Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I was denied renewal of my passport. The letter I received

Customer Question

I was denied renewal of my passport. The letter I received stated I had a out standing warrant. Research has show the warrant was closed in 2011. Immigration lawyer? is that who I need? I need to request a hearing and appeal this passport ruling. I am in Phoenix, Az.
thx Ceceilia
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. There is no clear appeal if a US Passport is denied, although the US Dept. of State should have a protocol in place to administratively appeal. If the matter is still denied at appeal, one can then send this to court under either a Writ of Mandamus or the APA.

The Writ of Mandamus can be used to compel administrative agencies to act. See 28 U.S.C. § 1361.

The APA is the Administrative Procedures Act, which provides a basis for suit where the government has unreasonably delayed action or fails to act. See 5 U.S.C. §§ 555(b) and 706(l).

You would need an attorney versed in federal and/or administrative law. Let me know if you need help finding someone locally.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do need to find someone locally. I guess request a hearing to review this action is how they have it stated. It says I have 60 days to file a request.
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Right, which you can, and want to point out that the warrants have been quashed. You can find an attorney by specialty/location in AZ HERE. If you are looking for a referral list, tell me what COUNTY of AZ this is in and I can provide a referral service for vetted attorneys.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am in Maricopa Co. Phx. Az.
Thevwarrent is in another State. I have someone working on that. Just need someone in PhD. To help with passport.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In Phoenix, I mean
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

May I recommend the Maricopa Bar referral program - HERE. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

If the warrant is out of state, they should still be able to help with pulling the record confirming the warrant is quashed.

Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!