Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I have a I 485 case pending I went to interview,with my wife

Customer Question

Hi,I have a I 485 case pending I went to interview,with my wife on January 26 they give us an paper tell us we will get decision within 60 days..still now 120 days no decision yet.
And last year went I file my case I file for work permit and travel document,I got both and I travel to Africa and come back,
This year I send application to renew the work permit,they send me letter saying they receive .it and it is in process.
And now after I send the application to renew the work permit.
Can I renew the work permit?
And also is it normal to take long to get decision?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Yes, you can renew your work permit since it is in process and your 485 is still pending.

Unfortunately it is taking approx 120 days for EAD renewals. The USCIS is aware of the inconvenience of the backlog and is working to clear it up.

It is not unusual for USCIS to take up to 6 months in sending out their decisions. The examiner has to make a recommendation and that has to go through their supervisor and then the examiner sends out the Welcome Letter.

You can always make an appointment with Infopass to put in an inquiry.

If this is adjustment based on marriage your US citizen spouse can contact your US Senator and have them put in a congressional inquiry through the online webpage. Here is the link.

https://www.schumer.senate.gov/services/help/immigration

I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith