How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4331
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tourist visa to the US until 2021. I had been in

Customer Question

I have a tourist visa to the US until 2021. I had been in the US as tourist for several times. Last year my daughter filed a petition for me to become an immigrant to the US. It is now in process. i already complered my medical examination yesterday May 30. I wii report to ST. Lukes Hospital on July 27 for the medical certificate. Only after i get my medical certificate can I apply to US embassy for interview.
The question I want to ask is
My daughter in Indiana will give birth on July 8, 2016. Is it possible for me to go there now before she gives birth and come back to the Philippines before July 27 for my medical certificate and for my interview to US embassy. Can I still use my tourist visa. I am willing to be given only one month stay just to be with my daughter during her delivery. Thank you very much.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello there, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Congratulations on your upcoming grandchild.

Here is your answer: Legally you can still use your tourist visa and come to the US as a tourist temporarily to be here for your grandchild's birth. However , what is legal and what can actually happen when you arrive are two separate things. In practice, it may be difficult for you to be allowed into the US because the customs officers in the US airport will know that your daughter has petitioned for your immigrant visa already and that it is almost ready and that may cause them not to allow you in as a tourist. The reason for this is that a person coming to the US as a tourist is not supposed to have "Immigrant" intentions to live permanently in the US. They will know that you do have immigrant intentions through your daughter's petition and therefore they could choose to not allow you into the US for fear that you are planning on staying permanently on this trip. You should prove to them that you do not intend to stay yet by showing you have things to finish back home, own property,a job, etc. It is a risk to try to come but you can try.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.