Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!

My girlfriend is from Italy and we want to get married. what

Customer Question

my girlfriend is from Italy and we want to get married. what do we need to do?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 4 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. Please give me some time to review your question and prepare a response. This may take several minutes, but we will get it done.

Thank you for your patience. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: Once married, you need to get your marriage certificate. Then you will complete and file form I-130 and your spouse will compete and file form I-485. File them together, in the same envelope, with the fees, to the Chicago Lockbox. The address is provided on the forms.

This starts the process for adjustment of status to permanent resident to get a green card. This allows her to remain in the US to live and work, and eventually become a US citizen.

You can find the supporting documents for each of those forms here:

I hope I have answered your questions. I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

Once you have received an answer, please leave a positive rating by choosing on the 3, 4 or 5 stars so I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to assist you.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you.