Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

Sir, I originally entered US with L1A visa (validity till 02

Customer Question

Sir,I originally entered US with L1A visa (validity till 02 Feb 2015) and I94 also for the same date . This L1A visa was based on a blanket petition. In August 2014 I left US on a short trip while entering back at POE , I was given a new I94 till August 2017 on the same visa status (L1A).In other words the I94 date got extended and i continue to maintain the same visa status although the visa itself got expired in 02 feb 2015.Now I have an urgent personal commitment to go back to India on a short trip and want to return back to the states.
1. I understand that although I have a valid I94 I won't be able to return back just with the I94 as the original visa's stamped expiry date is already past. Automatic re-validation won't apply because I am traveling outside the contagious territory. Is this correct ?
2. What should I do to enter back in to united states. Will I be able to get visa stamping in a US consulate outside the united states by just showing the valid I94 date (till august 2017)Regards,
Guruprasanna M
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. To answer each question:

1) Correct. You will need to apply for a new L-1 visa.

2) Yes, you should, but I would also carry a complete copy of your L-1 blanket petition and the last 3 to 6 paycheck stubs to show you had been maintaining L-1 status until you left the U.S. and it wouldn't hurt to have a letter from your employer stating that you will be employed when you come back to the U.S.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.