Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience.
16823287

I was born Madelynn K Garvey. I married in 1966 and became

Customer Question

I was born Madelynn K Garvey. I married in 1966 and became Madelynn K Towson. I divorced in 1986. In 2006 I remarried and because I was a realtor and everyone knew me as Towson, I used the name Madelynn Towson-Borchert (my new married name). My drivers license is issued this way as well as my passport. I have now been married 10 years. I will need a new passport before we travel to the Caribbean in January. I would like to remove the Towson from my passport and my license. My social security and my military ID are both issued th Madelynn K Borchert. What do I need to do??
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.
Passports Issue:Requests to change the name appearing on your passport must be processed directly with the U.S. Passport Agency in Philadelphia, PA###-##-####with an Application form DS-5504. Along with your application, you must provide a certified copy of the document identifying the name change, such as a marriage license, Order for Name Change, or Divorce Decree. More to come...
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.
Driver's License Issue: Arizona law requires all driver license holders to report a change of name to MVD within 10 days. MVD is required to verify your Social Security number before your record can be updated. Therefore, you must first contact the Social Security Administration at(###) ###-####for information to change your name on their records. Since it appears that your social security card is in the correct name, this should not be an issue for you. You can now contact the MVD and present identification in both your new and previous names. This identification must be an original (recorded) or certified copy of one of these documents:Marriage certificate/licenseDivorce decreeCertificate of citizenship/naturalizationCourt orderCertified copies must be certified by the issuing agency. Then you can request a new DL.