Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration

TO JUDITH, but me and my husband did not file our tax return

Customer Question

TO JUDITH, but me and my husband did not file our tax return together. Would this be a problem with the USCIS when in process of getting permanent residency?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 5 months ago.
I will leave the other question open to other experts in case one has come across such a situation.Does your husband have any assets or savings? I am trying to think instead of using his income since there is nothing in the instructions about how to handle this you could use his assets instead and get around the issue of the lack of joint return.I am curious why you didn't file a joint return? Did you just marry in 2016?Judith
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
TO JUDITH, No he does not have assets or savings? Yes we just married in March of this Year. So that why we didn't file taxes together.
Expert:  Judith replied 5 months ago.
Then I could only guess at how you would handle this and I don't like to guess. I will opt out of this as well and let's see if another expert has had this type of situation before.Judith