Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

On July I will live here in us years and I have 1

Customer Question

Hi on July I will live here in us for 10 years and I have 1 kid, his 4 yrs old. Do you think I'm able to get green card?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I will need to ask you some questions first. You are not charged more for this. Is your J-1 status still valid today?Does your child have any medical issues?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No is was expired. No medical issues.
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately there is no law that will allow you to get your green card only because you have been here in the US for 10 years and have a US citizen child. The only possibility is if you were ever picked up by immigration and placed into immigration court then you can apply for something called cancellation of removal based on the fact that you have been here at least 10 years, have a US citizen child and have good moral character in the US (no criminal history). You would be eligible to apply but applying and being approved are two different things. To be approved you would have to prove to the judge that your US citizen child would suffer extreme hardship if you were deported and this is usually done by showing the child has a severe medical condition that requires him staying in the US. Without that it is very hard to be approved. If you are not approved you would be ordered deported. Another possibility is if you ever marry a US citizen or when your child turns 21 yrs old he can petition you for your green card. Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal. Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Suffer extreme hardship? What is that mean?
It means that the child would suffer tremendously if you were not in the US or if he had to leave with you to your country. This does not mean normal suffering that anyone would suffer. It has to be more than normal. Generally it is required that the child has a medical condition to win the case. I hope this clarifies. Hope you can not leave a positive rating. I'm sorry I do not have better news or my options. I hope you understand that I dont make the law and I cannot change the law. I hope you can rate me based on my service.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my son is under specialist Doctor, because he had problem on his lung. This is mean he had medical problem? And I was spoke to my friend lawyer last year and he told me to coming back this year after I live 10 years then I can apply for green card...so this is mean I have chance to win?
If your child has a serious medical condition then yes, there is a possibility that you can win the case and receive your green card once you have been in the US at least 10 years. I hope this helps you and I hope you can remember to leave a positive rating.
Hello again. I see that you were able to view my reply to you on May 19th but you have not replied or selected stars for the service. Is there any other question I can help with to make sure you are satisfied?