Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

I am a international student in grad school in the USA.

Customer Question

Hi, I am a international student in grad school in the USA. Can I do freelance work off-campus during a semester (I am a full-time student) if I get it authorized under CPT, and if it is under 20 hours a week?
JA: The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Immigration Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Immigration Lawyer should know?
Customer: As a student, I have a fellowship, but no on-campus work. That's all, I think.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.What do you mean by "freelance" work?CPT has to be work that is integral to your major course of study. So you cannot do "self-employment" freelance work. It has to be a job or an employer where you are doing work according to a plan which is like an internship., I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ starsIn the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.Judith