Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

I am a Belgium citizen visiting USA. My esta is good

Customer Question

Hello, I am a Belgium citizen visiting USA. My esta is good for 2 years but i am allowed to stay here for 90 days. Since I am under medical treatment i need to extend my stay. May I?? My doctor is going to give me a letter. If I can which form do I use. Thanks a lot:)
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.An ESTA visitor may only get an additional 30 days and there is no form to file.You have to go online and make an InfoPass appointment at the local USCIS field office.You need to tell the InfoPass officer that you need the Field Office Director to grant you a medical based 30 day extension of your ESTA.These requests are most often refused.Your doctor letter needs to state that your medical condit n makes is unsafe for you to travel. It has to provide your diagnosis and prognosis. It must include the treatment that you need to continue here in the US and why you cannot go back to your country for the rest of your treatment.You will know on that day whether the district director will give you this unusual exception to the rule that prohibits extension of ESTA. Make sure your doctor letter is very thorough about your medical condition, treatment and health risk if you travel.I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ starsIn the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.Judith