Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I got my green card years in 2/26/2012 from my husband

Customer Question

I got my green card for 10 years in 2/26/2012 from my husband ,after one year I divorced in 3/26/2013. could you tell me for how long I can wait to apply for citizenship please
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. When did you actually FILE the divorce? Not the approval of the divorce, but when was the divorce filed?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
10/15/12
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The divorce was filled in 10/15/2012
Ok. About 8 months after you got your green card. It's not great, but at least it isn't too bad. You may be asked questions about your previous marriage and they may want proof that you continued to live together and be in a valid marriage until you filed for divorce. Anyway, as to your question, you need 4 years and 90 days of U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency at least in order to apply for U.S. Citizenship. Time as a Conditional Lawful Permanent Resident counts. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's mean I can apply for my citizenship now?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can I apply for my citizenship now ?
When did you get your Conditional Residency approved? Your green card should say that you have been a Lawful Permanent Resident since a specific date. What is that date?
If you have more than 4 years and 9 months of U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency including time as a Conditional U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident, then you can apply for U.S. Citizenship now. Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% of people on this site don't leave a positive rating and since I am not given a salary to be here, it's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, that's like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. Talk about unfair! So I hope you leave that positive rating. Your question does NOT close if you forgot to ask something. You aren't charged again if you respond on the same thread. If you don't see the stars by my name, just let me know. Thank you for your understanding.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.