Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am currently on a F1-opt visa and working full time as a

Customer Question

I am currently on a F1-opt visa and working full time as a manager at Salute e Vita Ristorante, my opt period ends on January 10, 2017. I did not apply for the H1b -2017 visa in April because I was not employed, at the time. Currently, the restaurant owner of Salute e Vita Ristorante is interested in applying for 1-140 visa, as my sponsor. Can I get a permit or green card through this visa, if not, do you know of any other ways I can acquire a permit or green card.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. It depends. What country were you born in? In what category will he file the I-140?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was born in Ethiopia but I am a citizen of Denmark. The owner will file the I-140 form as a floor manager.
What level of education does that position normally require?
There seems to have been an error in payment. You can either use a different credit card or call your bank. I will send the offer.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through. There are generally 5 avenues to obtain U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. They are through family, through employment, through Asylum or refugee process, through investment, or through the lottery. For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so. Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do. Through Asylum or Refugee process, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions. Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or $500,000.00 in an area designated as a high-employment area, plus in both cases the investment has to create 10 or more jobs for U.S. workers. And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify. Here is a link to the different forms to get a green card: http://www.uscis.gov/greencard Then there are some visas available where you can stay temporarily and then later change to Lawful Permanent Residency if you qualify.Some of the visas available through employment (if you have a job offer and you qualify) are:H-1B for professional workersH-2A for seasonal agricultural workersH-2B for seasonal nonagricultural workersH-3 for industrial traineesThen there are the F-1 and M-1 for students and J-1 for exchange visitors.And then there is the E-1 for treaty traders and E-2 for treaty investors (these types of visas are not available in all countries).Here is a link to most of the available visas: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/visa-wizard.html My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.