Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

My girl friend is a green card holder in us. Can she sponsor

Customer Question

My girl friend is a green card holder in us. Can she sponsor me for my visit of us?
JA: The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. Not yet.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Immigration Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am in New Zealand and I want to meet my girlfriend. She is in USA. So I am thinking to apply a visitor visa. So can she able to give me a sponsor letter/invitation letter. Which I can show to the immigration officer.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Immigration Lawyer should know?
Customer: I can show my bank statement, my payslip and some other documents to the immigration officer.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. You can look at the link below for all the information that you need about a visitor visa:http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html Essentially, you must have a valid reason for visiting, you must have a way to support yourself without working illegally, you must have significant ties to your home country, and you must have the intent to return home.A letter of invitation helps with some of this as it will help to show why you are coming to the U.S., how much time you will need and that perhaps you will have a place to stay so you don't have to spend money. Usually you want to show that you are going just for a few weeks or so. If it is longer than that, immigration will wonder why and will become suspicious. They are almost sure to deny someone that says they want to visit for 5 or 6 months unless they have very strong evidences of everything else I listed above. But keep in mind that a letter of invitation is a small part of the process and isn't even a requirement (people mistakenly believe it is the most important) and it can sometimes be used against the applicant. For example, if the consular officer believes that the applicant will have too much support meaning that they could stay illegally in the U.S. or if there is a romantic connection, the officer would deny the visa. Sometimes it is better to not even have a letter of invitation. The most important part of a case is to have strong ties to the home country.Now as to some of the ties, you will need to show that you have significant close family at home, property not easily sold, and a good job for a good company that you have had for awhile and that you would not normally abandon.So if you are young, without much money or any property, you could be denied. You would be a risk for staying illegal. Also, persons that are planning to travel with their spouse and children are a risk as well because some of their significant ties are actually going with them.I mean some people have been approved with less, but I am trying to give you the idea for the best chance. Just to be clear, you want to avoid that she have anything to do with your application for a B-2. Why? Because they will automatically believe that you are coming to marry and stay. That is not the purpose of a B-2. Even though you state that you are only coming to meet her and plan to go back on time, they just won't believe it. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.