Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am trying to become a US Citizen. I was born in 1990

Customer Question

Hello, I am trying to become a US Citizen. I was born in 1990 and came to US the first time in 2007 when I was 17. My dad is a naturalized US citizen, and he got his citizenship in 1998 when I was 8. The first time I came to US in 2007, I only stayed for about 3 months and left US. Then I came back in 2009 and stayed till now. 5 years after 2009 I applied for N-400 which I got denied. The immigration officer told me that as I came to US in 2007 when I was under 18 as LPR, I automatically become a citizen. She told me to apply for N-600. Now I applying for N-600, I have all the documents but how would I show that in 2007 when I first came US I resided in the legal and physical custody of my US citizen dad. I don't have any documents to show that I stayed with him as I only came for 3 months. The child citizenship act of 2000 requires that I resided with my US citizen parent. Please help me what documents I need to attach with my N-600 to get a proof of citizenship. Thank you
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James. I will be assisting you. Please give me a moment to review your question. As we work through your questions, think about this as a conversation. I will ask you questions until I have the information I need, and then I will provide you with an answer. Don’t worry - it might take some time, but we will get through it together. Do you have the communication from the immigration officer who told you that you do not qualify for the N-400? Were you not in school? Does anyone else know that you lived with your father for those three months?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have any communication with the immigration officer.
I was in school but not in US, I just visited US for 3 months and left and came back in 2009.
No one knows
But you said: "The immigration officer told me that as I came to US in 2007 when I was under 18 as LPR, I automatically become a citizen."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she told me verbally, she didn't gave me anything written
That means your N-400 case was denied. Do you have the denial letter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if I have the denial letter. But the day I went for my N-400 interview, she told me that your N-400 is denied and you should apply for N-600
You would have received a notice. This also is in your immigration record. No neighbors or members of community organizations lie places of worship knew you were here? You did not see a single person while you were visiting? That is quite hard to believe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes my uncle saw me. My dad lives with his older brother.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if the neighbors or people in place of worship saw me. I don't think they will remember as its been quite a time now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You there sir?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.